DMF free group classes are the “foundation” of the foundation – it’s how we started 12 years ago. They are not traditional “music therapy” sessions, which are typically done on a one-on-one basis and geared towards achieving specific goals. Rather, our classes are designed to maximize the broadest range of musical and social benefits for the maximum number of participants.
Available to individuals with developmental and physical disabilities ages 3 to adult, classes focus on empowering individuals to make clear progress on their own terms. They enhance self-confidence and self-esteem and promote personal expression and growth. Most importantly, they enrich hearts and souls, and uplift spirits.
Classes run up to nine months a year from September to December, February to May and July. We offer Singing, Drumming and Percussion, Lyric Composition, Keyboard, Guitar, Singing and Dancing, DJ 101 and Band. Group classes include a culminating event, in the form of a free music festival, hosted twice a year at an outside venue. Here family and friends can celebrate all of the hard work and dedication of the participants all semester.
Our classes are free, with enrollment as simple as completing a form and attending a half-hour greeting session to ensure compatibility. This provides the opportunity to gain a better understanding of each applicant’s specific interests, experience and needs - ultimately allowing for the best placement.
The demand for our classes is very high, with a waiting list of typically one year. Individuals can be placed on the waiting list at any time and will be notified as soon as spot becomes available. Please call us to place yourself or an individual on our waiting list 212.289.8912
New fee-based group classes now available at Daniel's Music!
With our 50 free group classes a week at capacity, we are excited to announce a new program that will allow more individuals with disabilities, ages 3 and older, to explore and discover the joy of music together. Immediate openings available in:
Beginner Keyboard Adults
- Prepare a melody and chord progression from a popular song
- Learn the basics of proper fingering technique, ear training and music theory
- Showcase skills in solo and group setting
Beginner Keyboard Children
- Prepare a melody from a familiar song
- Participate in musical games that improve dexterity and rhythm skills while introducing new concepts like melody and harmony
- Explore self-expression and improvisation through instructor-led activities
Singing & Performance Children & Adults
- Select the song of your choice and craft it into a performance piece
- Work on vocal components, performance presence, proper mic technique, stage direction and interpretation of material
Instrument Exploration Children & Adult
- Get a basic overview of 4 types of instruments: drums and percussion, guitar, keyboard and DJ/electronic music
- A hands-on learning experience in the roles each instrument plays in a variety of musical genres
Are you on the waiting list for the free program, but want to join the DMF community? Are you currently in the free program and are interested in participating on an additional day? Are you interested in exploring a music class in a smaller group setting? Do you have limited availability and can only make a monthly commitment? If yes, then our NEW fee-based group class offering may be a good fit for you!
Contact Nadine McNeil to register today at Nadine@danielsmusic.org or 212.289.8912.